Legacy Giving Examples
Providing for Gifts Through Your Will or Trust
Thank you for considering a planned gift to MEND through your will or trust. This type of gift costs nothing during your lifetime, can offer significant tax advantages, and generously provides for MEND’s future.
Examples of gifts
- Gifts may include cash, securities, real estate, vehicles, or collections.
- For example, you may make a gift of your residence, or a portion of the eventual sale of your residence, so that you and your family can continue to use it for your lifetimes, while you receive a current income tax deduction.
- Your will can create one or more trusts to provide for heirs. When your heirs pass on, or at the end of the term of the trust, the balance could then be given to MEND. These trusts can be charitable trusts that offer an estate tax deduction.
- You can add MEND to your will simply through an amendment called a codicil so that your will does not have to be redrafted. We’d be happy to provide you with a sample codicil.
Sample language to give through your will or trust
- Outright/general bequest: “I leave $____ or ____percent of my estate to MEND-Meet Each Need With Dignity, Pacoima, California.”
- Specific bequest: “I leave my (name property here) to MEND-Meet Each Need With Dignity, Pacoima, California.” Examples include 1,000 shares of ABC stock; a primary or secondary residence; undeveloped land; royalties; vehicles such as a car, airplane or boat; or a collection of art.
- Residuary bequest – after you have provided for your heirs: “I leave ____ percent of the remainder of my estate to MEND-Meet Each Need With Dignity, Pacoima, California.”
- Contingent bequest – remembers MEND if a named heir does not survive you: “I leave $_____ to my sister Jennifer. If she does not survive me, then this bequest shall be made to MEND-Meet Each Need With Dignity, Pacoima, California.”
If you have already included MEND in your estate plans, thank you and please let us know so that we may welcome you into MEND’s Legacy Society. If you would like to learn more about making a planned gift, please call (818) 686-7362 or email give@MENDpoverty.org.