How to Organize Your Own Toy Drive
Organizing a toy drive can be simple, easy and fun! With the provided materials, you can run a successful toy drive with minimum time commitment. This drive will make a difference in the lives of low-income children and families during the holiday season.
Five steps to a successful toy drive:
1. Select the dates of your drive. We suggest holding it for up to five days, so your group has one designated week to bring their items in. No matter what length of time you choose, plan on receiving items after your deadline. Expect the actual deadline to be a few days after the deadline that you publicize. We ask that donations be delivered to MEND before December 12.
2. Advertise! Publicity is key to a successful drive. Spread the word to as many people as possible and don’t be shy about reminding them. Send out an email and make announcements. People like to be informed about ways they can help.
3. Distribute printed publicity materials. Print out MEND’s Christmas Toy Drive Flyer and share with the group who will be participating. Display them in public areas such as a front desk, break room, classroom or neighborhood community center.
4. Set up a drop-off point. Print out MEND’s Toy Drop-Off Point Flyer and post it in an easily accessible area. Attach another flyer to the box or bin that you are using to collect the toys. Be sure to place the box or bin where people can see it.
5. Collect, collect, collect! The hard part is over and it’s time for you to sit back and watch your group come together to help low-income families. After your toy drive is complete, we hope you and your group will visit MEND when you drop off your donations so that we can personally thank you for your donation.