Home Garden Application Form
In fighting hunger and empowering its clients, MEND is happy to announce the Home Garden Program designed to provide 72 families with home gardens and fruit trees. Eligible families will be able to grow fresh fruits and vegetables, learn about gardening and work towards self-reliance, as part of a supportive community.
The Home Garden Program will equip families with tools, seeds and plants at no cost. Of the many benefits of the Home Garden Program, families will have the opportunity to show their children where food comes from and engage in an activity where they can come together and give back to their communities by sharing what they’ve learned and harvested. As part of the educational component of the program cooking, canning and seed saving classes will be offered to participating families while allowing them to interact with other families also going through the program.
To be eligible for the MEND Home Garden Program:
- Participants must be MEND clients or qualify as low income and live in the Northeast San Fernando.
- Participants must have an outdoor space that can accommodate raised beds, containers or vertical units and receives at least 6 hours of sunlight a day.
- Currently, families that live in apartments do not qualify.
- Families must be willing to participate in group trainings, workshops, social gatherings and garden building days
- Families must be willing to give back to the MEND Home Garden Program through mentoring, volunteering and/or sharing harvests with the MEND Food Bank.
To apply to the MEND Home Garden Program, you have two options:
1. Fill out and submit the following online form, or
2. Download the application form, fill it out, and turn it in at the reception desk at the MEND Center.